Thursday 10 October 2013

Thoughts about patriotism

Here's a post! It's my first! Maybe I'll never post again! Oh, the unknown of it all! 

Anyways, this is a poem I wrote, loosely inspired by the Daily Mail and Ed Milliband's dad. It's a poem, because I think it can safely be accepted as fact that all thoughts about politics are best expressed in rhyme:

Patriotism

It’s considered a given
that wherever you’re livin’
is the best piece of ground
wound round and round
in a fog of renown.
And that love of one’s kingdom
is something to sing from
the palaces of power,
the football fan’s glower,
the tabloid front-pages.
But in truth it enrages
me royally.
Could someone explain
how raising terrain
to a moral position
is not superstition?
Extolling the good
and throwing a hood
on the bad, is a fiction:
a shut-eyed constriction
of history.
It disguises our flaws,
it drives us to wars
where our flaws become claws
and worse -
we grab at the purse
of others’ resources,
with clench-fisted forces.
I don’t get ‘nation’
and its awful conflation
with right
and I slight
patriotism
as nothing but schism.

© Catherine Lucie, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment